Monday 16 June 2014

Seeing double ...... triple?

As I mentioned in another blog post, the ImageMerge software that I've been developing proved to be enormous fun during testing.

Not having an endless supply of images to merge, I came up with a simple plan to test the merging part of the software (rather than the registration). So I set up the camera on a tripod, placed in the lounge in a suitable position, and - using the self-timer - took pictures from identical viewpoints but with different content.

The "different content" in this case being me.

The very first attempt used three source images, so I merged two of them first and then merged the third with the result of the first step. One of the images was slightly out of focus, so I wasn't too happy with the result, but it did lead on to some more experiments.

Anyway, for the sake of posterity, the first "triplet" image, started with these three images:





The resulting merged image came out like so:




Could do better ...

Now, given that I'd not only posed myself in different positions, but also tried out different facial expressions (if you can call them that!) to try to show three different characters, it started me thinking....

Getting carried away, I then came up with this ....



... and this ...



... which, after two more merges, turned into this .....




Like father like son ....

Seeing some of the hilarity these produced when posted on Facebook, my dearest son couldn't wait to get involved and so we tried one (two?) of him indoors ....



... and one (three?) of him in the garden .....



.... which is enough frivolity for now, so back to some real work soon ......

1 comment: